Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Strip Quilts

I was having a hard time getting back to sewing after the quilt show.  I tried to make a wallet for my sister, got about half done and ran into a problem.  I set it aside to think about.  I had/have a container of strings that I have been saving for a while.  I usually cut any scraps up into squares, nothing smaller that 2 inches, and then the smaller strips went in the container.  Some years ago, I had started the blocks for a string quilt, got about 4 done and then put it away.  Since I already had a bunch of the paper piecing patterns copied, I decided it would be a good place to start.  Nothing to think about except that the strip not match the one before it.  So I got out my strings and started on the ones with black center stars.  Talk about a mess!  I started out with a bit of organization the devolved into a chaos on my table.  This picture is at the start, I didn't take any of the total chaos. The pile of strings seamed to grow with each day.

Before I was done, this waste basket was almost full of trimmings from the blocks.

Here are some of the finished blocks.  I made enough to do the center of a smallish throw quilt.

Onward.  I also had some squares that I had put red paisley points in. They needed strips.  I decided to add a white strip next to the red points.  I think it looks good that way.  No process pictures.  I have a bad  habit of not taking pictures until after I'm done.  Here is the finished top with the red stars.


I used the leftover scraps to piece the border.  I use printer paper that has something printed on it but that I decide I don't need to keep, for my paper piecing.  I put it aside and used a stack for the border stripes, cutting it into 2 1/2 inch strips.  I left plenty of extra fabric so that I could cut it with 1/4 inch seam allowance.  I used blue and black from my stash for the borders.  

I also took down my "Winter Geese" quilt and put the the "Umbrella" quilt.  This is not applique, it is curved piecing for each block

This is my sewing companion: Walker.  He is double rescue.  A friend adopted him from the street.  He was so skinny and frightened.  She had him for a couple of weeks and had an accident in her home.  She was in the hospital and asked another friend to take care of him.  That friend's husband put him in the pound!  So after a frantic call from her we rescued him a second time.  When she finally got able to take care of him, she decided to leave him with me, because we live in the country and she lives in a small apartment.  So she has visiting privileges any time she wants to see him.  My work table is next to the couch, and he lays on the back of the couch and watches everything I do.  He is pictured on my bed in the photo.  He weighed less than 5 pounds when we got him.  He's at about 8 1/2 pounds now. Looking good buddy!


No comments:

Post a Comment